Open your shades on winter days
Taking advantage of winter sunlight can help lower your heating costs. Open blinds during the day to provide natural lighting and capture free heat.
Things to think about:
- When you let the sun in, remember to lower the thermostat by a few degrees. These two steps combined are what save money and energy.
- South-facing windows have the most potential for heat gain. Keep the drapes up and windows clear in order to let the most light in.
- The sun is most intense from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., so make sure windows are uncovered during these hours. Close window coverings at night to insulate windows.
- Dense walls and flooring, especially masonry, help by storing solar heat and then releasing it at night.
- North windows do not receive any direct sunlight. The coldest winds come from the north, so insulate and draft-proof windows and doors on this side of the home well.